Topic: Stone Harbor Point and Nummy Island

Birds seen tonight at Stone Harbor Point (CMBO's Tuesday Point walk): Ruby-crowned Kinglet, many Palm Warblers, Redstart, Red-eyed Vireo, Blue-headed Vireo, Yellow-rumped Warbler, Magnolia Warbler, Nashville Warbler, Catbirds, 2 fly over Peregrine Falcons, Caspian Terns, Belted Kingfisher, Forster's Tern, Snowy Egret and Great Egret.  I heard from one of tonight's participants that Cape May had a good hawk flight today as well as warblers, etc. all over the place.
At Nummy Island we saw:  Clapper Rails and 2 Green Herons (great looks at both birds), Tri-colored Heron, Great Blue Heron, Great Egret, Snowy Egret, Black-crowned Night Heron, Ibis, 20 Marbled Godwits (25 were reported yesterday), Oystercatchers, Black-bellied Plover, Short-billed Dowitcher, Semipalmated Plover and Black Skimmers.  Shorebird numbers were low.

Gail
P.S.  This one's for you Vermont Pete.

Re: Stone Harbor Point and Nummy Island

Thanks for the info Gail! Can't wait to get down there.  We're counting the hours.  Oystercatchers have been rare in Vermont this year.

Re: Stone Harbor Point and Nummy Island

Hi Birdphoto:  I haven't been on line for a few days - sorry for the delay in responding.  The warblers at Stone Harbor Point were seen around the parking lot (there are pine trees on the north end).  Also walking down the path to the point is a good place to see Yellow-rumped Warblers, Song Sparrows and Palm Warblers. 
A good area for photographing birds (warblers, etc.) is in Avalon along Dune Drive between 44th and 50th Streets.  There are paths to the beach at 44th, 48th and 50th streets.  The best time to see the birds is during migration after a cold front.  On the 44th street beach path the Black-crowned and Yellow-crowned Night Herons roost in the trees and sometimes are close enough for a great photograph.
I hope you had a good weekend on your photo trip.
Gail