Topic: fishing in june

my wife and i are going to be vacationing in cape may in june. i like to surf fish, last year i fished sunset beach with little luck, if anybody has any tips on what kind of bait or other beaches to fish it would be apprciated. looking foward to some fun fishing......  thanks nj :)

Re: fishing in june

ifishnj,  You should of done decent at the Point.   If you fished Sunset Beach you might want to try the next jetty to your left and towards the light house, that whole area is very good.  There is a little better structure.   Should be decent fishing.   Best time is early in the morning or at sunset.  By June they don't allow you to fish while the life guards are on duty.

What were you fishing with last year.   There are many ways to catch fish.   Flies, plugs and bait.   They all work well.   You just may need some adjustment to your presentation or what you are using.

I also have a question for June fishing.  I have been going to Wildwood for 6 years now in mid June.  Every year I hear how the fishing was great just before I got there and how it will be great after I leave.  They call it the dead period. I am told the fish have come in and spawned and then leave then come back later.  Is this true or do I just need new locations and /or bait?

I have rented boats to fish in the back bays, fished of the rocks near sunset beach and at the coast gaurd.  I have also fished behind the church in north wildwood, near the draw bridge or any where else I see people fishing. 

Could it be the bait?  I have used lures, soft baits, crabs, sand eels, squid, srimp and bloodworms.  I have fished high tide, low tide, high in the water and the bottom.  The best week of fishing without going on a charter or party boat is two week fish.

Any help or suggestions would be great.  Thanks Doug

June alway is a good month to catch fish.   Like always the best time to fish is early in the morning, pre-sunset or at night.   That is when I do most of my charters.   You are out of the heat of the day and the fish like the lower light.   In a boat it is always easier to get to good spots, but there are plenty of great areas to fish.

You can still catch a good variety of fish even if you rent a small boat.   You can rent a small boat at No Bones Tackle right off rt. 47 in Wildwood.   See Fred he will tell you where to fish and get you set up.

I still use clam bellies and clams and get stripers in the back at that time of year.

Nummy Ilsand is another area you might like to try.  It is the island that is inbetween North Wildwood and Stone Harbor.  Again early morning or near dark best times.   Bug spray might be needed.

If you want to catch fish on lures or work the inlet, I do charters for up to two persons and can work areas that you can't in a rental boat.   It is more expensive than renting a small boat, but you can usually get some good action.

thanks, I may contact you.  Doug

We are going on vacation in June - my son is almost 7 and has done a little fishing with his Dad.  Does anyone have any suggestions of where to take him?  He is afraid to get on a boat....any good docks?  Thanks!  We are staying in Sea Isle and will be in Wildwood a bit, too.

If you got to either end of Sea Isle there are some good places to fish.   To the north if you cross over the bridge there is a parking area there.   You can fish along the sod bank or in the bay towards the ocean by walking along the sandy beach there.

To the south is Townsons Inlet.  It is good fishing there too.   Either way with a 7 year old you will need to keep an eye on them around the water.    Especially near sod banks.   Life jacket would not be a bad idea.

Hey Cape May Ray - I've spent every summer in Cape May since 1969 (born) except
for the last 11 years in which I've been in Phoenix, AZ.  Even then I've been home for
at least two weeks each summer.   Trying to move back but can't sell my house out here.
I've read your postings from afar for many months now.  Just wondering which site you visit
and post on most frequently as I've seen postings on several sites?  I have a huge family
and my parents still have a house on Emerald St.  I'll be back in about a month to get
out of the heat of Phoenix and deal with the humidity of Cape May.  I see you fish all of my
favorite places and it would be pretty cool see you chuckin that fly line one morning.

Oh yeah - you stole my old nickname... or maybe you already had it...

Ray

Hope you can sell the house and get back to the area.   I have used that name for quite awhile before going on the forum here.  I would think there is room for a number of Ray's in Cape May.   Hope you are catching a few fish out there.

does anyone know if the drums are still on the jersey side in the bay?

They were still catching them pretty good this week in Delaware Bay with good action on the Jersey side.    This week everyone has shark fever with the South Jersey Shark Tournament Friday and Saturday.