Topic: Golden Plover at Point?

At dusk, Oct 14, at the CMP State Park beach, I had a plover the size of a black-belly, but it definitely didn't have black axillaries.  The bird was basically monochromatic, being a dusky brown over much of its body.  The bird was only slightly smaller looking than a black-belly, and it was leaner looking (more gracile).  I saw it at 35 feet, but it was misting and the light was flat.  It appeared to  be a golden plover.  It was the only shorebird on the beach.

Re: Golden Plover at Point?

Yup, it's a lovely darker-than-most juvenile American Golden-Plover.  It was right on the beach between the hawk watch and the covered pavilion at CMPSP this afternoon.  I think Tom Parsons was the first to spot this bird two days ago.

Re: Golden Plover at Point?

An update - the wise birders of Cape May are now uncertain as to whether this bird, which is still hanging around, is an American Golden-Plover or a Pacific Golden-Plover, as it shows characteristics of both.  It has been studies and photographed in great detail; I wonder if any conclusion will be drawn.