Topic: Cold Weather Snipe

As Mark said, woodcock have been gathering along Sunset Blvd and it may be their last days on earth.  While looking at 3 of them, Jane and I noticed that one had bars on its side and it turned into a snipe.  Best comparison of the species I've ever seen - almost side by side.

A Red-tailed Hawk was sitting in a tree over this strip yesterday, looking for an easy meal.

PK

Re: Cold Weather Snipe

The pictures are now posted online - there's a link on the CMT birding home page.

Certainly there's no better time to see them than when the ground is frozen and they come out onto the roadsides.  On Monday there were about 15 at Pavilion Circle and about 10 along Second Ave. in the long block just east of Bayshore.  There might actually be more Woodcocks here during migration, and the population is lowest in summer, but as Paul says there are some woodcocks around Cape May at all times of year.

Last edited by Mark (2005-02-01 21:47:28)

How long do the woodcocks (and maybe the snipe) usually stay around? Until the ice and snow melts?

Woodcock are here year round, they're just easier to see during winter when they gather along Sunset Blvd.

PK

Not Big into birding, but just put a feeder up in the backyard here in Cape may and got a bird identification book, so we would learn what the different birds were.  Not at the feeder but in the back of the yard I think it was a woodcook or snipe.   It had alot of orange on the abcde area a very long black bill and when you looked at it from the side it had black bars on its side.   When it would sit it was very puffed up.   Any thoughts on what I saw?

This bird identification is alot more difficult than I thought it would be.  Got a pretty good book and it has males, females, winter, summer and young pictures.  Not one looked exactly like what I saw and about three looked close, but not a 100 percent and the birds will not stay in one place all day.

Also wanted to get a good handle on some of the back bay birds.  I take alot of people in the back bay on fishing charters and I know some of the birds and thought it would be nice to be alittle more informative as to what they are etc.