Topic: Where to stay near the beach - First timers

Hello Everyone -

My husband and I would like to visit Cape May for a few days. We have never been there before so we have no idea where to stay. We would like a hotel/motel thats as close to the beach as possible with a Ocean View as well as near any activities/stores.

Any suggestions? Thanks in advance :)

Re: Where to stay near the beach - First timers

You have a huge number of choices. You should first determine your budget. At the high end is Congress Hall. Across from the beach, large historic hotel, pool, top notch service, etc. Good location as you are across the street from the outdoor mall.  The Periwinkle, which i have not stayed at, is down the street, across from the beach and appears nice. It is cheaper, a motel. I have stayed at the Stokton, the Camelot, and the Victorian motels. All similar. Other people will recommend Summer Station. Another suggestion is the Sea Mist, this is the condo you see many pictures of. it has recently been ronovated. It may be a good idea to google "cape may accomodations" to get some infor as to rates and see options that fit your budget. Then ask for specific recommendations on a couple of those.

Hi Dan The Man -

Thanks so much for your help.   Have a great weekend  ! :)

Im trying the Beach Shack out this year.

Just go to the hotels page on Cape May Times to get all of the Cape May hotels.

Or copy and paste:

http://www.capemaytimes.com/hotels/cape-may.htm

beachgerl  We have been going to CM every year for the last 20, usually with a big group so we rent a house.  My wife and I stayed at the Congress Hall around last Xmas, and if you can afford it, it is THE place to stay.  Very old school class.  The only other hotel that we have stayed was the Avondale by the Sea.  It was very nice, great location accross the street from the ocean and close to stores and places to eat/drink.

Thanks again everyone for your suggestions.  I really appreciate it :)

Now, the fun part. You might want some restaurant recommendations. Everyone has an opinion, and they are all valid.

Good idea!~ ok everyone lets hear about your favorite spots to eat!!

Favorite spots. Lunch at the Blue Pig, if you can eat outside, is very nice. This is located in Congress Hall. The breakfast there is also great. Dinner? People will mention the Washington Inn, Fresco's and 410 Bank Street. All are outstanding. The Lobster House is always popular. The wait time can be significant, but walking around the facilities.
More middle of the road? Georges at Beach and Perry. Super breakfast and lunch. They only take cash. Ask for John and tell him Dan and Pam recommended him. There is Uncle Bills if you want pancakes. In the mall, I always liked Cucina Rosa. They have a crawfish fra diablo, it makes me sweat! A new place the Cape May seafood Company in the mall has good crabcakes. Any other suggestions?

For a place to stay my family and I have stayed at the Montreal Inn for the last 20+ years or so. Family oriented and super great people. Ocean front views right along Beach Ave.....wouldn't be summer without them. They book early so give them a call asap. Maybe someone has canceled out.

Pappy

Last edited by Pappy (2009-06-22 14:10:39)

for all you experienced Cape May'ers, if chioce of the Sandpiper and Congress Hall, which would you choose?    i am going for a weekend getaway, wanted Ocean view since we live in the city.    we are between 37-42 and don't want too much hustle bustle if we want to kick back and relax at night at the hotel?   suggestions?    we're first timers if you couldn't tell.  :)

As another person said, Congress Hall is the place to stay. Hands down. No debate. Period.