Topic: Help! - What bait for on shore fishing?

Broadkill DE last week - NOTHING.  Squid strips for beach fishing turned up nothing.  Going to Cape May in 3 weeks.  Last year fished off the rocks near the ferry (with the strips) - nada.  Not even a dang bite.  Not a fishing pro but would like to catch something out of the big sea.  Maybe ferry is a bad place..maybe wrong time of day..are squid strips bad bait?  ANY advice would be immensely appreciated.  Where, when, high or low tide, what bait?  Not looking for keepers, just want a little action.  Many thanks!!

Re: Help! - What bait for on shore fishing?

I was in Cape May from June 29 - July 11 and went finishing for three days.  In that time I caught four fluke (all through backs one 15 inch), One sea bass and about 14 keeper croakers.  I used Gulp Pink Minnows off of alexander and Stites jettie.  I even saw one guy pull in three keeper flukes on the same jetties.  I used the squid and all I caught was sand sharks.  Try using the pink Minnows with a 1/2 oz jigger.  Let it sink to the bottom and then slowly reel it in.  Don't let it sit keep it moving.  Also, the fish are only about 20 to 15 feet off of the jetty.  Hope this helps and good luck!

Re: Help! - What bait for on shore fishing?

Sounds like good advice.   Fish do hand close to the beach and rock areas.   Squid minnow combination will work but also keep the bait moving along the bottom.   Use a bank sinker and slowly reel it in.    Early mornings and early evenings would be prime time.