Topic: bait run?

HI ANY CAN ANY HELP ME I AM LOOKING FOR THE BAIT RUN  PEANUT BUNKER,MULLET STUFF I CAN THROUGHT A 8ft CAST NET AT THANK YOU FOR ANY HELP........MUDDPUPPY...

Re: bait run?

Good luck.   The bait runs keep getting weaker and weaker each year.   Remember only take what you need.   Too many people take way too much out.   They should probably put a limit on how much you can take on any given day as guys are down netting coolers full a night.   Multiply that by all the guys doing it and it is way too much being taken.

yeah i know people now a days do not know how to take what they need...I am a local so i see it all the time...i have not seen any bait around so i am stuck buying it..

Bait situation is really bad.   I was out last night and there were no signs of mullet or peanut bunker on all 4 sides of the inlet rocks.   Only bait we saw were glass minnows and very few of them and the only hits we got were from 8 to 10 inch bluefish.

Even in the back bay it was dead with very little bait other than the small glass minnows.

With fishing so bad I canceled this mornings charter.  Didn't want waste his time and money.   Hope it changes soon.

Ray, do you think this is due to the weather? the water is still very warm, isn't it? Could mean a longer season once things open up. We'll keep our fingers crossed.

The amount of bait has been less and less each year.   Cape May County sprays Malathion for mosquito control which is very bad for marine life.   Many states have banned it's use except for emergency situations.   Combined with run off polution, those of us who fish the back bay areas all the time, have seen a steady decline in bait fish and fish populations over the last 6 years.    The state does not have the funding to look into the situation according to those who could do the research and indentify and correct it.   So we just watch it get worse and worse each passing year.