Topic: New to surf fishing

Quick question I'm new to surf fishing and am planning on heading to Cape May Memorial day weekend and would like to mess around a little. I am guessing the best spot would be the lighthouse beach? I recently purchased a medium/light heavy surf pole reel combo with 17lb test. Just wondering what kind of weight, hook size, bait, techniques, anything just to get me going. I do fresh water fish and have done a little salt water fishing so I'm not totally new to fishing just surf style. Any tips would be great and if you're down there this weekend maybe I'll run into you.

Thanks in advance.

Re: New to surf fishing

Probably the best and easiest thing to do is to visit one of the local bait and tackle shops. If you want to go down to the lighthosue, you'll probably pass Cape May Bait and Tackle. Near the entrance to Cape May is Jim's, across from the Lobster House. I've been to both and they have proven to be very helpful with gear, etc.

Dan thanks for the reply I just checked with them and they said the stripers are hitting really good. What hook rig/bait should I try to use? Once again I can ask them when I get there, but I would like to have an idea of what I'm in for before I get down there. After reading online I think my line might be to light! I thought 17lb test was too much. and most articles are mentioning circle hooks and clams as the best bait. any thoughts?

Thanks again.

Went to the local Sports authority today and picked up some 2,3,and 4 ounce pyramid wights along with two floating striper rigs. I also picked up a couple of jigs to mess around with around the jettys or in the bay.

It sounds like you have a good handle on your tackle.
17 pd test should be fine, just make sure you have your drag set properly. Clams are a good choice for Stripers. You might want to pick up some light twine to tie the clams to the hook. Also don't be afraid to throw a Jig with a strip of squid as a trailer. Like a jig and pig rig for fresh water bass fishing.
Wish I were going this weekend.
Good Luck!

Thanks for the replies. I saw on the internet to use rubber bands to hold the clam to the hook. I'm sure the shop will have something I can use. I plan on bringing my smaller pole to mess around with at sunset beach as my wife and kid like to search for shells and rocks there so I'll be flipping a jig by the concrete ship as well.

I'll let you know on Tuesday how I made out.

Hello pjm... I hope you still check this forum. Im new to surf fishing too so im hoping you could tell us about your experience?

Last edited by garycleft (2010-07-06 04:21:47)

Just got back yesterday from a few days at the Cape. A wonderful trip as usual. We were catching croakers and flounder off the ferry jetty . A few small sharks at Sunset Beach in the evening for the grandkids. At the Jetty we were using lighter then normal surf fishing tackle, tubes with squid trailers, or shrimp with light sinkers. Just moving it along the bottom or letting the current do its thing.  My son cleaned up on flounder including a couple of keepers. Only kept one a bit over 20" and did it up on the grill. Good stuff!. Enjoy the sun and fun.

Pappy