Topic: Cold Weather Movements

Anyone else noted an uptick of different birds locally.  In the past two days I've seen 3 Goldeneye off the 2nd ave jetty (which I rarely see out there), abcde and immature Cooper's and Sharp-shinned Hawks at my feeders, and 2 abcde male harriers along New England Road.  Perhaps these birds are on the move because of the brutal weather lately.  Both harriers were headed for the Point, almost like fall migration.  The Coops and Sharpies have been more interested in the feeder birds.  Brrrr...

PK

Re: Cold Weather Movements

Another annual sign of the cold weather ... we counted 11 woodcocks along the north side of Sunset Blvd. between Stevens and Lighthouse this afternoon, happily slurping up earthworms in the unfrozen roadside.  Haven't really been out otherwise, just back from the Everglades.

Had a Northern Harrier come into my yard in Eldora and scatter all the feeder birds on Monday morning- this is only the 2nd time we have had one in the yard-not just flying over. The Pine Siskins are still hanging around the feeders-bullying the American Goldfinches around.
New bird for Jakes Landing Road on Monday evening (for us) is a Light Morph Rough-legged Hawk.
How fabulous were the Everglades, Mark?

Last edited by Karen (2005-01-26 12:13:57)

New arrivals to my feeders in Petersburg are 2 Fox Sparrows on Sunday.

Saw a raft of 50-60 Goldeneyes off East Pt. yesterday