Topic: Spring Birding at Cape May

Hi,

I'm in Southwestern Ontario, and planning on making a trip for a week in Cape May to birdwatch (possibly the first week in May); mostly for the shorebirds. Would I be better off coming earlier (or later)? Any thoughts or opinions would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance,
Mike

Re: Spring Birding at Cape May

The first week of may can be good for shorebirds, but the big influx of shorebirds on the Bayshore for horseshoe crab eggs (and for most shorebirds in general), occurs more in mid-May.  If you schedule toward the end of the second week of May or even a few days thereafter, you will hit the peak.  By moving your trip toward mid-May, you will also have better luck with songbird migrants as well.  For the best places to go to see all of these birds, make sure you look at the Suttons book, highlighted on Cape May Times - see the other birding pages on this site at ...  http://www.capemaytimes.com/birds/nature-of-the-cape/default.htm -   If you browse through the birding pages on this site, you'll find info on the Sutton's book as well as descriptions of the different birding sites.

Re: Spring Birding at Cape May

Thanks for the info, I'll plan on coming up for the long weekend then instead.

Mike