Topic: New Year's Eve Fishing

I am coming down to CM for New Years. Anything in the surf? Should I bring the gear? Any suggested locations? Bait?

Re: New Year's Eve Fishing

Tried for spotted hake/ling at the point twice during the past 10 days.  They have been quite slow.  Maybe the water temps are now too cold for them???  Was catching these tasty morsels until two nights ago.  Didn't see anyone else fishing the jetties on the west side of Cape May Point.  I'm going to try the POint once more for ling before hanging up my waders.

Anyone else getting ling, at least?

- -I too will be down in CM Friday--Thursday if I call out sick---PaulK, may I ask what you were using for bait ? I will hav plenty of time to fish since my beloved Jets are out of the playoffs --maybe I should wear all Jets clothes and walk around CM with my girlfriend who has her EAGLES WINTER COAT GLOWING AND LOOK LIKE A REAL LOSER THE JETS ARE !!!!!---GO EAGLES !    PS--What a spanking you Cowboys fans took !

Bait for spotted hake.  I've usually used cut mullet and that has usually produced - using small pieces on small hooks.   They can also be caught on clams, although I prefer cut mullet. 

Good Luck and post here if you are catching.

Who was that I saw on Friday at the concrete ship? Was it you biit? I drove down and saw only one guy out. The wind was amazing! If it was you, any luck? BTW, how long into the winter do people go out?

Dan the Man -No wasn't me--I did get my girlfriend to drive down to the concrete ship as we came into town on friday--We had stop to pick up a case of red wine from the Cape May Vineyard--We ended up coming in on Broadway so I got her to drive down--Windy and to saw the least choppy.

Have you fished up from the conrete ship-about 20 min walk--Where the stream from the inland lake emptys into the bay-fish out going --great spot if u hav kids--only draw back long walk with the gear--had great luck with my throw net-one cast ,had about  100 small spot and  best part nobody wants to walk that far.

Windy and choppy, boy that is an understatement.
Never fished from the spot you describe. Wasn't aware of it. I'll give it a shot next time. My daugher may enjoy it, if we can overcome the walk.
Thanks!