Topic: When & where are the best places to view and photograph ospreys?

Over the last couple of years, I've developed a new interest in photographing birds of prey. Winters have become a series of trips to find bald eagles but now they are either on nests or heading back north. Now that winter is over,  I'd love to photograph some osprey but they've not shown up yet in areas near lower Bucks county (PA) where I live. I'd love to go down and spend some time in Cape May and would like some guidance as to some good spots.

Re: When & where are the best places to view and photograph ospreys?

The Ospreys have barely arrived here in Cape May - the usual first arrivals are in early-mid March.  The bulk of the birds will be back in April.  Although you shouldn't go too close to nests, you can find plenty of them in the back bays just to the north of Cape May.  From Wildwood to Stone Harbor there are lots of nests on platforms in the marshes.  There are nests on Nummy Island and on the road into North Wildwood (from Route 9 - North Wildwood Blvd), as well as some along the road into Wildwood.  You can walk a bit onto the marsh, but if you do, you will likely spook the birds off the nest, which would result in killing young or eggs once they are in the nest.  Don't approach too closely.  These same birds seek fish in the back bays and creeks, at which time they may also offer photo opps.  Best of luck and don't approach nests too closely.

Re: When & where are the best places to view and photograph ospreys?

Thank you Paul for your thoughtful response.... I would never think to intrude on any nests. That's what long lenses are for! Are there better times of the day than others to either catch the osprey feeding? Is feeding tidal related?