Topic: Fishing is pretty good

With the water in the mid 60's the fishing is pretty good.  The guys surf fishing are picking up stripers and small blues and occassional drum fish.   Weakfish are around, from the big tide runners to the smaller spike size ones, but you have to work a little harder for them with early mornings and early evenings being prime time.   

Boat fishermen are also catching all of the species including summer flounder.   It is a good time to get out with a variety of fish around.

Get out and wet a line.

Re: Fishing is pretty good

hey all good fishermen...where is the hottest spot to fish from land in cape may.  i will be staying there next weekend 6/21.....whats running & what are they eating?  i just got back from the outer banks and i got skunked fishing with squid & shrimp off the beach.  help anyone.

I would fish Cape May Point early in the morning or late afternoon till dark.  Should have,  some striper, bluefish, weakfish, fluke activity there.  You can use bait or lures and should not have heavy surf.     Many of the regular bathing beaches do not allow fishing while life guards are on duty.

Don't be afraid to cast close to shore as many fish move up and down the drop off close to the beach.

You can fish during the day from Alexander Ave north to the ferry inlet.

Alos Nummy Island between North Wildwood and Stone harbor has some great sodbank fishing.

Good Luck.

Ray, is there parking on Alexander Avenue as well as public access to the water?  Getting closer and closer to my trip with you.  You can't believe all the comments we got about that photo in the cape may magazine

Phil.

Phil;
Yes there is parking at Alexander Ave. Actually pretty good. Once the beach tag patrol comes out you'll need a tag to go on the jetty or to the left as you face the ocean. If you go to the right of the jetty you are fine. Which photo? I subscribe and the magazine is generally filled with great Cape May abcde.

Dan, thanks for the information.  The photo is on Page 14 of the Spring 2009 issue above the article for Off the Hook.  A great shot of a great evening.  My son and I fished with Ray last summer and had one of those unbelievable nights.  Heading down the week of July 13th and will fish with Ray again.  Only fished off the beach a few times from Sunset Beach the last 3 years, and once or twice from the jetties at the ferry.  Want to hit the point this summer, still very much a rookie off the sand.  Son and daughter are just happy to catch sand sharks, hoping for something new this time around off the sand.

Yes, your trip will be coming up soon  Phil.   Hope the weather gets a bit better.   We have been having our fair share of clouds and rain.   It has to be getting more like summer any day.  I still have not been able to wear shorts in the boat yet with it getting cold every night.   I hope I can duplicate last years trip, plus the beautiful sunset that night.   Ray

Hey no pressure Ray, that was one magical night. Our weather has been the same, rainy and cold, more like April than June.  Looking forward to the trip, just to get away.  Any fish is a bonus, both kids will enjoy it no matter what.  They know the ins and outs of fishing versus catching.

Hi, I've been following this forum for a couple months now trying to see how the fishing's going.  We have been coming to Cape May and surf fishing / fishing on the charters for about 25 years now.  We usually surf fish between Jefferson and Ocean St. and use 4 oz weights and squid strips, clams, and mullet for bait and just let it sit on the bottom with the one liter down near the weight and the other a little higher up.  We have pretty good luck catching skates and sharks but I think we'd all like to try to catch some different fish.  We'll probably be doing the charter boat at least one of the days / nights but as far as the surf fishing, is there somewhere near there that's better for stripers, blues, and weakfish? And is there a different bait, rig, or technique that would possibly help us get better results?  There's a group of 8 of us that go and would like to have a little more diversity in what we catch this year.  Any advice on this would be greatly appreciated.  Also, what's the water temp like lately?

It may sound a bit weird, but a bobber and an hook baited with bloodworm or other bait fished close along the jetties or beach at Cape May Point is a very effective way to catch,  Weakfish, Sea Herring, bluefish, and stripers.

You can also use gulp scented baits or put bait or gulp on small jig heads and cast them out working them slow along the bottom.   For this smaller lighter rods are best.