Topic: Visiting July 4th through 11th -North Wildwood

Hello All,
I am going to be visiting for vacation for July 4th through 11th, 2009. My daughters are 11 - 9 years old and would like to go fishing. I was considering taking them on a party boat for a half day trip, plus fishing from shore in the mornings before we get going to the beach, etc. We are staying on 17th street in North Wildwood. Can anyone make some recommendations for a party and charter boat and a place where we could fish in the mornings from the shore. I have a medium freshwater setup that uses 10lb. test line, would that be sufficient for fishing from the beach or inlet, etc? I also need some information about licenses required for fishing for myself, wife, and 11-9 year old children.

In addition, if anyone wanted to throw out some general recommendations about the area, such as good local places to eat seafood, get pizza, grocery shop, etc, I would be greatful. We prefer to shop, eat, and patronize only "local" establishments and businesses to assist in the local economy. This is our first family vacation to the beach. We have four children total 11-9-2-1. Thanks.

Re: Visiting July 4th through 11th -North Wildwood

Hey I think you will have a great time. I'm not much help with most of the questions, but I know you'll want to get a surf rod and reel for fishing from the beach/inlet. The fresh water set up won't cut it. Hope you have a good vacation.

You do not need a license of any type for you or your children.   If fishing from the surf you would need larger rod and reel.   I you want to use your light tackle freshwater you could do so in the back bay areas.    It might be worth a trip over to cape May point.   The Alexander ave. area.   The beaches there have very little wave action compared to the ocean.   You can fish in the mornings till the life guard come on the beach and after they leave.   To the right of the Alexander ave jetty you can fish all day.

Cape May Bait and tackle is on Sunset Blvd on the left hand side  right past the light at West Cape May.    They are very helpful.   They could show you how to rig up to catch and they have bait there.   They also rent bigger rods is you want to do that.   

There is also a lot to see there.   The Light House, Nature Park, Sunken Concrete Ship at the end of Sunset Blvd and the WWII Observation tower.

Fishing is more expensive on a charter boat but they provide all the rods, reels, bait etc.    A 4 hour trip would be all you would need with the young children.   Party boats offer 4 hour trips but you are on them with a group of other people.   There are also places that will rent you your own small boat to go out fishing.

There are lots of place to eat, shop etc.   You will find them all pretty good.   If not they do not stay in business too long.   Cape May City is self is a must see as they it is the oldest sea shore resort and has lots of interesting old victorian buildings.

Have a great vacation.

places to eat and entertainment, etc. Well, you are near the boardwalk, which is one of my favorite place when I'm not fishing. Some fine eating establishments on the boardwalk include Boyd's Texas BBQ (dry run bbq, excellent ribs) and Groff's, which is legendary and serves just good food. Seafood? the Lobster House is the place, but with the little ones it may be tough, as there typically is a wait. North Wildwood has several nice family type establishments as well.  Enjoy the seawall in North Wildwood. You are certain to have a great time.

> CapeMayRay wrote:

> You do not need a license of any type for you or your children.   If fishing from the surf you would need larger rod and reel.   I you want to use your light tackle freshwater you could do so in the back bay areas.    It might be worth a trip over to cape May point.   The Alexander ave. area.   The beaches there have very little wave action compared to the ocean.   You can fish in the mornings till the life guard come on the beach and after they leave.   To the right of the Alexander ave jetty you can fish all day.

Cape May Bait and tackle is on Sunset Blvd on the left hand side  right past the light at West Cape May.    They are very helpful.   They could show you how to rig up to catch and they have bait there.   They also rent bigger rods is you want to do that.   

There is also a lot to see there.   The Light House, Nature Park, Sunken Concrete Ship at the end of Sunset Blvd and the WWII Observation tower.

Fishing is more expensive on a charter boat but they provide all the rods, reels, bait etc.    A 4 hour trip would be all you would need with the young children.   Party boats offer 4 hour trips but you are on them with a group of other people.   There are also places that will rent you your own small boat to go out fishing.

There are lots of place to eat, shop etc.   You will find them all pretty good.   If not they do not stay in business too long.   Cape May City is self is a must see as they it is the oldest sea shore resort and has lots of interesting old victorian buildings.

Have a great vacation.

Ray, Run for mayor.

Thank you all for the replies, I really appreciate it. This is our first real family vacation. I was looking at a 4 hour day bluefishing trip for the kids so they have a better chance at catching a bunch of stuff - not really concerned about eating the bluefish, but I'm sure they will want to eat some of what they catch. They are very excited about the boardwalk, etc, as you may expect. We have the zoo lined up already, and of course the beach and boardwalk. We will try the lobster house and the BBQ place for sure. I may also just break down and buy a heavier duty setup for the trip. Since we live on the Ohio River, rigs with up to 20lb test line are not uncommon here, so we may check around and if they dont have anything, we will just get something from a local shop there.

I'll be down later today. I'll check around to get the names of some more places to go. You mentioned the zoo, simply one of the best around. It's in the county park, very clean, a great family place.
BTW, Ray helps so many people on this forum, he should run for mayor!

No thanks, That is a full time job and you can never do enough and what ever you do, half like it and the other half hate it.   That is a lose lose situation.  I just like to help those enjoy Cape May and the area.   Maybe just welcome to Cape May committee member.

Zoo is a must.   It is free and really good for a small zoo.   People are always impressed with it.

Another hing that I did a couple of years ago and it was great, was the Nature Center of Cape May. They have a harbor safari program that is so much fun. These are scheduled so you need to check the times.  If you go to the lighthouse, there is a nice walking path through the marsh there.