Topic: Permit needed to fish?

I was told yesterday that this summer we will need to get a permit to fish the surf at Cape May, and that next year there will be a fee along with the permit. Any truth to this? Thanks.

Pappy

Re: Permit needed to fish?

Pappy, yes as a saltwater angler you need to regsiter with the National Saltwater Registry. You can do it online at countymyfish.noaa.gov. or 1-888-mrip411. As for next year, states have to set up their our registry. NJ has set it up, and there will be no fee for next year. As for the future? who knows?

Can I register at my "local" bait & rod" store when I get there in July?  Jim's, just over the bridge on the right going into Cape May, or should I do it now on line? 

Pappy

Last edited by Pappy (2010-04-26 15:22:32)

I would do it on line. I don't know if the local shops can do it. I printed the page after I was complete and intended to use it as a "temporary" card. The real (reel?) one arrived within a few days.

Pappy, I do not know what state you live in or fish in.   If you have saltwater license in another state you do not need to register as you are already registered with the federal government.

In New Jersey in 2011 there will either be a fee to the federal government or New Jersey might have a saltwater license.   Either of those would meet the requirements we will have to wait and see what happens.

Thanks all. I'm from PA and will be in Cape May the second week of July. Guess I'll have to go on line again. Tried it once but couldn't find the right page. Thanks again.

Pappy

Got it. Quick and easy! Thanks again folks.

Pappy