Topic: bait laws?

i'm curious about NJ or cape may county specifically. Is there some kind of restriction that prevents bait from being sold other than in tackle shops? in other states you can get all kinds of bait everywhere; supermarkets, 7-11s, gas stations, all local convenience shops, but this doesn't seem to be the case here. Is there a reason?

Re: bait laws?

Saltwater baits are usually bigger or frozen.  Probably take up too much space at the stores you mentioned.   Other places in the state you will find freshwater baits in those kind of stores.   Tackle stores have enough problems trying to compete with the big tackle companies they probably do not need others cutting into their business.

Re: bait laws?

Hey Ray, I agree with you. I always patronize the local bait shops. Not only are you helping the small business, but I like the conversation and advice. I've found that just running in for bait often takes a while longer that I thought because the people are always friendly. I've never had a problem with any of them. Just try that with the frozen bait at WalMart. Unfortunately, I noticed that the 7-11 across from the park has a bait machine. I don't know why, with CM Bait and Tackle just down the Sunset a bit.