Topic: This Week Marked the Start of Catching on Flies.

Water warmed up enough this week to activate the stripers into chasing flies.   Got our first fish on flies this Monday along with others on Rubber shad bodies.    All small fish from 18 to 26 inches but a lot of fun.   The rest of the week there were more stripers and the bluefish invaded chopping on anything they could find.   Looks like the start good fishing which should last through December.

Re: This Week Marked the Start of Catching on Flies.

Week continued good with more stripers on the fly and the invasion of hungry bluefish in the 4 to 6 lb range that were chasing sea herring up and down the beach front.   With a strong northeaster this weekend, everyone has been pretty much sitting at the dock.   Should be real good fishing from here on in.

I am heading to Cape May in mid July- I am hoping that there may still be some fly rod action for stripers, blues, or other sport fish in the surf... I would be extremely grateful for any/all insights since I will be there with 2 kids and hope to be able to get out early or late...

any tips, thoughts, locations, etc? All catch and release and hoping to find a local fly shop to supply the right weapons and advice.

Many thanks,

JD

There is good fly fishing action all year long.  Mid July best bet is early in the morning, early evening or at night.   Most of the beaches are bathing beaches after 10:00 am. and no fishing is allowed at that time.   There are a few spots at Higbees beach and the ferry jetties where you can fish when beaches closed to fishing during the day.   Most of the stripers are schoolie size, with bigger ones caught here and there.   Should be summer flounder, blues, croakers and small spike weakfish.   I like to use Decievers for the stripers and clousers work great for the weakies and fluke.   Blues hit anything.  Not any super fly fishing stores, but Jims, and Bob Jacksons bait and tackle should have enought to get you by.    Saltwater fish are not that picky.   Chart/white, Chart/yellow, Green/white. are all good colors.   I use lots of different colors and different styles and they all seem to catch fish.   Floating and intermediate line should work well.   Stripping basket is a must if you are fishing of rock jetties or the surf.  It will make life easy.

If kids are not into fly fishing, bait will get fish for them on light spin rods.   Even bobbers with bait work well around the jetties.   There are a number of fly fishermen that fish Cape May and Cape May Point.  Good group of guys and all willing to share fly information.   I even fish the beach and jetties when I don't want to take the boat out and only want to fish for a short time.

Fly fishing has been a bit spotty and you have had to work for the stripers and blues.  We have just come off 4 days of blasting winds.  Got a few schoolies size bass today, up to 23 3/4 inches on 4 1/2 inch Chart/white jiggie flies.   Action will continue to improve.   Would expect this week to start good fly action on the sea herring that hang around our waters.   They are a lot of fun on a fly rod and make great bait for flounder and other species.

Fly fishing action has started to become consistent.  Bass are now in the back bay and flats behind Wildwood and Cape May, searching for food in the warmer waters.   There are bass around the Inlet jetties and beachfront and the Sea Herring in the 15 to 17 inch size are providing at times non stop action.   With the warmer weather it is nice to fish without the sweatshirts and foul weather gear.  Can't wait for Shorts weather.