Topic: Bed & Breakfast Hospitality in Cape May

My family and I recently returned from Cape May on our annual summer vacation.  We have been summering in Cape May since 1992.  In past years we have stayed in hotels or rented homes.  This year we decided to try something we have always heard was a wonderful experience and stay in a B&B in Cape May.  We all had decided on the Abbey based on availability and location.  We booked four rooms and was excited to embark on this new experience.  Let me start off by saying we were extremely dissapointed.  The owner of the Abbey was unfriendly, arrogant, and rude.  He made my family feel very uncomfortable with constant negative remarks to us.  As an owner of an Inn, you would expect that person to fill the role of a wonderful host and welcome the guests.  We left with such a bad taste in our mouth that I had to share this experience.  We would never stay at the Abbey again or recommend this to other family members and friends.  ARE ALL B&B's like this???

Re: Bed & Breakfast Hospitality in Cape May

Sorry to hear about your bad experience.  There are so many great b&bs . I remember the owners from yrs. ago. I

believe usband wears strange hats. We stay at Summer Station but this year we are going to try the Capers.

Did you know that the Abbey was for sale?  if I remember correctly the prize was in the area of 5 mil.  I know it was for sale last year so you may have dealt with the new owners.  I'm sorry you had a bad experience.  BB's are rather pricey, especially in CM so I can understand if one has a higher expectation because I do whenever I "pay up".

Sorry you had such a bad experience. They received many negative reviews on Trip Advisor as well. It's amazing that any innkeeper would want to ruin their business like that. We have been staying at Bed and Breakfast Inns for the last 10 years and we love it. The charm of some of these homes is a truly great experience. Please try again. Sometimes Inns that were good in tha past suffer during and after a sale. We have stayed at The Duke of Windsor, The Angel of the Sea and Captain Mey's. All were wonderful. I would suggest staying in a B&B close to the mall, then you can leave your car and walk without having to worry about where to park. Hope your next experience is a better one!

The Queen Victoria Inn on Columbia Avenue is usually a good place to stop by as well. One must wonder what the owners of the Abbey B&B have been thinking to continuously be that disrespectful to customers?