Topic: Any Saltwater Fly Fisherman Around.

I used to run a large offshore charter boat for years out of Cape May and since I took up the flyrod I can't seem to get enough of it.  I still offshore fish with my buddies, but enjoy the beachfront and back bay action, with top water being my favorite.  The fly action doesn't get started down here till sometime in April when the warm spring days warm up the shallow backbays, which draw stripers back to feed.  I now run Tiderunner Charters a small bayboat with an electric bow motor and specialize in flyfishing and light tackle.  When not in the boat I will also work the jetties and beaches.  Some nice fish can be caught there too.  Any other addicted flyfisherman out there?

Re: Any Saltwater Fly Fisherman Around.

I like backwater too Ray!  And the top water is my favorite as well!

Welcome!;)

Like everyone, the last couple of days and no ice in the bay, it is easy to start thinking about going fishing.  Will be awhile before I will see one on the fly.  Boat is on the trailer and ready to go, but  this time of year it is tie flys, cause when the fishing gets hot, I would rather fish than tie.  Can't wait till we are both out on the water getting fish for our charters.

I hear that Ray!  I may have to do a trip with ya this year!  I love fishing back there...maybe more then anywhere else!

I just ordered my first fly rod not five minutes ago.  I haven't fished in over ten years and never fly fished before.  My best friend fly fishes but lives in Nashville (I'm in N.J.), he's helping me out but I'm on my own when I go fishing.  I don't remember anything about fishing but I'm trying to learn some things here on the web before I head out.  I am very interested in fishing Cape May so if you guys can help me out at all I would appreciate any advice you can give me.  In case you are wondering, here is the outfit I decided on:

http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/templates/links/link.jsp;jsessionid=S1OEFERVMFABQCWQNWSSCNYK0BW0MIWE?type=product&cmCat=Related_IPL_317960&id=0017452316491a&_requestid=47918

I got the eight weight thinking it will be good for salt water but still usable for fresh water bass.  If anyone wants to get in touch with me that would be great.  My email address is shadyvito@hotmail.com

8 wt rod and reel set up should be good.   Intermediate line will be the most practical line.   Clouser flies from 2 to 4 inches in size.  Chart/white, Chart/yellow, Pink/white, and Olive/white should work well for you with a few other types but with the clousers you can't go wrong.

Cape May Point is probably the best place to try as you do not need super long casts as fish usually feed in the wash.  The jetties and inbetween  are all good spots.   If on jetties korkers with spikes will prevent you from slipping on the slippery rocks.   No need to fish the rocks as the beach is just as good.  Would suggest a stripping basket to keep you line from tangling at your feet.

Thanks alot Ray.  When I get my feet wet alittle (no pun intended) and my buddy comes up from Nashville, I might be calling you for a Charter.

Hope you catch on your vacation.   Canceled morning charter yesterday with the strong winds and low tide.   Since I was up I headed to Cape May point (the lee shore) where I picked up two keeper weakfish on pink/white clousers.   Two hook ups with about 8 hits.   Released the fish and was home in time for breakfast as the wind blew strong all day out of the east.

Hey Ray, I'm visiting Ocean City NJ next week and I'm looking to get in some fly fishing time. I'm a fresh water fly guy and not a great one at that, but I have fun anyway. I've got a 10wt cheapo Scientific anglers rod and reel I bought for saltwater, I've also got my decent 8wt set up. I was hoping you could suggest a place to fish from shore, and some fly recommendations, etc?

Lot's of good spots in Ocean City.   Corsons Inlet Park is good.   You have sod banks on the bay side and sandy beach around to the inlet area.     Also 9th street causeway is good.   Early in the morning and evening will be the best.   Clousers, jiggies, deceivers, peanut bunker flies.   They should all do well.  Intermediate and sinking lines are best but can still catch with foating if that is all you have.   Bobs banger or popping flies will work also with the floating.   Good luck.

Thanks!

Hello out there!

Hello, Ray- Hi Skip-

Getting my gear ready for Spring, and tying like a madman. (And keeping the house in shape!) Ray- got any recommendations for a casting coach?

Looking forward to seeing you around-

CR

Casting isn't all that hard.  Practice it the key.   Just relax and the important thing is to let the rod load and do all the work.   Make sure rod it rigged with the right weight line.   We always have casting practice before our club meetings with a few good castors on hand to help those improve their skills.   Fish as much as possible.   If you are going to practice casting you might as well have a shot at catching a fish.

Don't think I am the best castor, but as long as I keep catching fish I can't complain.