Topic: Okay, I need some direction info!!

I am moving to Cape May in June and we just took a trip there for the past two days. It was a great trip, but the drive from Richmond, VA is AWFUL. Especially in DC!!! Is there anyone that knows a way to Cape May from Richmond, VA that would keep us from getting caught in traffic EVERYTIME in DC?? I get in 95N from Richmond, VA and from there to route 47 would be very helpful!!

Re: Okay, I need some direction info!!

You are so lucky! It is my dream to live in CM. I visit about 5 time a year. I'm in No VA ( 16 miles south of DC) and the traffic is always a nightmare here. I take 95, but get off on 50 toward Annapolis. Then through DE, then the ferry. Or get off 95 in Fredericksburg and catch 301 to 50. I have always made it faster using the ferry even though it should take longer.
The DC area traffic is just awful and rush hour is more like rush half day. If you need to drive though here, do it after 9:30am and before 3:00 pm.
Hope this helps.
Have an ice day!

I am actually moving because the Coast Guard is sending me there, and when we went there this weekend we loved the area, but it will be a little hard on my wife b/c this is the furthest we will be from her family, but we do have each other, and anyone in their right mind would come visit us in one of the most beautiful places on the East Coast!!!

Anyway, the information that you provided will help out a lot!! 207/301 was what we had heard, but we were unsure of the type of traffic you run into on that road??!! Anything will be better than sitting on a 5 lane hwy that is moving slower than a turtle, and most of the time it is b/c a car is pulled over on the side of the road!! LOL!!

Thanks again, and keep 'em coming!!

JKH

Hi! I'm still jealous! The roads through MD and DE are single lane in some spots, but it moves. Lots of little produce stands to stop at. And it is a beautiful drive. The Bay Bridge backs up, have ezpass, but again, it is a beautiful bridge, close to the water. I always tell my husband to get in the slow lane so I can look at the boats.
It's nice to get to CM relaxed from the drive instead of the 95 rat race.
And you pass a Sonic's (;0)!
Have an ice day!

keeshond, i found your advice helpful and have some additional questions.  I am also in the No Va area and plan to go to Cape May for the 1st time.  How long does it normally take to get to the Ferry and what do you do with your car?

Hi! I usually leave after rush hour and can make the ferry in about 3 hours. But, that includes a trip to Sonic's for breakfast! They want you to check in 1 hour before the ferry sails, but I make a reservation online so you can get there 30 min. ahead. I strongly suggest a reservation as some of the ferries are really crowded. It also saves time at check in. You drive you car right onto the ferry. The bottom level is for cars, usually about 100. Then you can walk up to the different levels for bathrooms and food. It's really fun and just a beautiful ride. The ride takes about 1hour, 15 min. and you drive off right in Cape May. It takes about 10 min to get to Beach Ave and all the motels. Hope this helps and have a wonderful trip.
Have an ice day!

thanks keeshond, this is helpful!!

If you're going to live in Cape May, how come you're not bringing the rest of us along with you? :-p