Topic: Where to fish on vacation

My wife and I are going on vacation to wildwood the weekend after July 4th and I am looking for someplace to fish.  She is a beach person while I on the other hand am not into baking like a cookie, so I decided to try to locate somewhere to fish.  We are coming from Pa and I have some things for fishing there but not all.  I have rented a boat in Ocean City NJ and fished some backwater and very much enjoyed it in the past.  That would be my first choice to do but I am opened to any suggestions anyone would give.  I would like to fish for flounder but will take any bite.  I would be very much willing to swap any info I have about PA fishing if anyone is interested.  My knowledge is mainly on stream trout or Susquahanna River smallmouth.  The river is about 25 minutes from me.  I would appreciate any help.  Thanks  Dan

Re: Where to fish on vacation

Not too many areas where you can fish and swim at the same spot.   If you are into the fishing.   The best times for catching are early morning and early evening or in the middle of the night.    Nummy Island which connects North Wildwood to Stone Harbor is a good area.   Both sides of the island offer lots of good spots for fly fishing, lures or bait.

North Wildwood offers good fishing around the inlet area.

A short ride to Cape May Point offers good fishing around the many jetties and beaches in between.   Early morning as the sun is coming up or evening are always best.

CapeMayRay your information is appreciated.

Hello Dan!

Productive areas to fish and at the same time swim are tough to find.  One such area is on the bay side of Cape May just North of the Cape May Ferry Terminal.  The fishing leaves something to be desired, and the swimming isn't near the quality of the ocean.  However, for just lounging in the sun it is quite nice as the crowds are much lighter than those on the ocean.

For fishing, a great option is to jump on an open charter.  This alleviates the cost of chartering a boat on your own, and opens up some fantastic fishing opportunities.  At the time of year you're coming down, deepwater fluke(flounder) fishing is in high gear.  We offer full day, 8hr open boats to the deepwater fluke spots for $110 per person, and this includes all gear, rods, reels, bait, tackle, and ice.  It can't be beat and you get to fish on a charter boat with a small group.  Just a thought!

You could also try the rock jetties in Cape May or the navel base.  She could layout you could go 50 yards out and fish. You just can not swim at the navel base and it

The Coast Guard beach is off limits you can go down to where the base starts on the Cape May side.    Only ones that can fish that jetty are Coasties or retired etc.    You can fish the north side jetty but it is a good walk as you have to park down near the tall Condos at Diamond Beach.   You also have to be out by dark as it is a park area.